09 June 2011

Recipe: Crazy Fries (Sort of)

By now, you've heard me talk about Julie and how awesome she is.  I stole the 52 Lists meme from her.  Unfortunately, the full extent of her awesomeness has to yet to wear off on me, but I'm sure that'll come in time.

The list she posted the other day was her favourite Mexican restaurants.  One of them featured Crazy Fries, which is a concoction of crinkle fries, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and optional hot sauce.  I will pause while you wipe the drool from your chin as you image that.

I actually went to the store the next day and bought ingredients.  As soon as I came home, I sent Julie an SOS email.  "HOW DO I MAKE THESE?????"  I needed to know if layers were involved.  If so, what was the order?  Or did I just make cheese fries and then dip into various vats of yumminess?  I needed to get it JUST. RIGHT.

She informed me that it went fries, guacamole, sour cream, then cheese.  She also sent me a picture!  (She's a full-service information centre!)  I'm glad I asked because that was NOT how I was going to do it.  Being the scientist I am, I decided that an experiment was in order.  I must do it the way she instructed AND the way I had been planning and then report the results.  I decided to do her way first, because I thought my way would be better, and then I would never try her way (which, to be fair, is really the restaurant's way).

I was totally right.  My way was better.  Here's my totally not-for-OCDers recipe for Crazy Fries (Sort of):

Amount of Tater Tots that you think will fit in your bowl
Shredded cheddar cheese
Guacamole
Sour cream
Avocado salsa verde

1.  Bake tater tots according to package directions.  Place in bowl.

2.  Sprinkle handful of cheese on top of tater tots so cheese melts on tots.

3.  Dollop guacamole on top of cheese.

4.  Dollop sour cream on top of guacamole.

5.  Pour avocado salsa verde on top.

6.  Taste.  Cease to care that you ran out of hot sauce and Trader Joe's doesn't sell any because it turns out that TJ's avocado salsa verde is freaking good.

This then led to one of the best conversations Julie and I have had that did not involve a certain television show that starts with a "d."  Ahem.

I asked her if they have Mega Fries where she is (New Mexico).  They do not (but they do have chile cheese fries - not chili cheese fries, CHILE - be careful when ordering!).  So I told her about them - fries covered with ranch dressing, bacon, cheese whiz, and mozzarella cheese, then baked until melty (of course, I always skip the bacon).  Then she upped the ante by telling me about a dish she and her ex used to make called Wedding Potatoes (shredded potatoes, sour cream, cream of celery soup, cheese, and corn flake crumbles).  Then I told her about my hash brown casserole.

Then..  THEN.

I decided that what the world needs is a restaurant with a concept based entirely on potato dishes.  I was telling Julie about NBC's show "The Next Great Restaurant," since she hadn't heard of it.  The next day, I was talking to my friend Rachel, and SHE got all excited about the idea.  If NBC does a second season, we may be a force to be reckoned with.  I'm just letting you know now.

Be prepared. 

5 comments:

  1. I may make these during after race tailgating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh now I'm hungry!

    I still haven't had any fries! I may have to rectify that this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man oh man.
    I have NEVER regretted my citric acid allergy more....
    (getting out the shop vac to get the drool offa my keyboard)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh... I must have been logged in to Oscar's acont that Oscar up there was ME!!!

    ReplyDelete