14 June 2011

Job, Life, and an Apple

I got some news yesterday from the full-time job.  It's...  interesting news.  That's about all I'm willing to say on the blog.  First, it's a bit complicated, but it's also LONG.  And it just wouldn't be professional for me to say what I have to say.  But I do appreciate your ongoing support, prayers, lit candles, crossed everything, positive thoughts, etc.

Today was also interesting.  Last night, I put in an online job application.  Today, I got a call from that application.  They wanted to interview me this evening.  Okay, sure.  I'm game.  I got offered the job -- to start tomorrow.  There were a few issues with the job, though.

So I called my mom and we discussed it.  After I went home and read over the paperwork they gave me to look over, I called Mom and brought up another concern.  And we decided that I won't be taking this job.  It feels so weird to turn down a job after looking for one for a year and a half, but this one really wasn't right for several reasons.  Mom was concerned about it from a safety perspective.  And there were some financial issues to consider that I won't get into here.  I feel weird about my decision, but it really does make the most sense.

Also today, I went to the Apple store.  I've been having some problems with my MacBook.  Of course, the issues popped up a few months after my 2-year warranty expired (why wouldn't they?).  I kept meaning to take my baby (as I call it; she doesn't have a name yet) in, but I didn't want to waste tokens on a trip to the city just for that, but it was difficult to time it around doctor's appointments, I didn't want to take it in when it was raining, blah blah blah.

So I took it in today.  I was a little annoyed because everyone else at the Genius Bar seemed to get really friendly, outgoing helpers.  I got a guy who wasn't UNfriendly, but was just very down-to-business, very matter-of-fact, no-muss, no-fuss.  I explained that my machine makes obscene noises when it tilts, it only uploads certain CDs (and I tested it; it's not the CDs -- and I can NOT have a machine that refuses to load Michael Jackson), and it's started to make an odd groaning noise (as of two days ago.

My guy ran some diagnostics, then asked me if he could take it back and take it apart.  Sure.  He said it would take about five minutes.  While he did that, I called Mom for a few minutes.  Then I watched the guy next to me get his machine taken apart in front of me, told his machine had liquid damage, but it would repaired free (a one-time exception to the "we don't fix liquid damage" clause in his warranty).  And I kept waiting... and waiting... and waiting.  So then I figured he must be fixing my machine.  And I hoped it was free because no one had come out to give me an estimate, as I had been promised would be done when I was explained the process when I had come in earlier to talk to someone about my issues (my computer issues, that is).

Sure enough, he came out about fifteen minutes later and said, "So.  I have one question for you.  Do you have a cat?"  "Yes," I said sheepishly.  "The inside of your machine was COVERED in cat hair."  Basically, my fan almost couldn't move.  I was completely embarrassed.  But the guy was nice.  He had completely wiped it down, even cleaning the fan blades with alcohol wipes.  And since I had asked him about cleaning the screen properly (he recommended clean socks), he had even cleaned the screen, my track pad, and the outside of the machine.

I asked him how to keep cat hair out of my machine, and he said that when I have it not on a hard surface, put it on one.  So if I'm using it in bed, for instance, just put a book under it.  Because if it's directly under a blanket, the fan will suck the cat hairs that are on the blanket into the machine.  So he told me now that he had cleaned it out, go home and see if that didn't cure everything.

I am now happy to report that the newest MJ album is now loaded on my baby.  :)

(Although it's still making that odd groaning noise.  So I'll take it back in and see about that some day soon.)  Overall, though, a great Apple experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment