10 July 2011

My Workout Challenge

Since I seem to have plateaued with my weight loss going largely changes in diet (with some slight working out), I decided to start doing some working out at home.  Something in the back of my mind today remembered the 100 push-up challenge.  The idea is that over the course of six weeks, you build up to being able to do 100 push-ups.

Those of you who have known me for several years may remember a time when I took the push-up challenge at a NASCAR event several years ago at the Army exhibit and actually argued with a soldier about my push-ups when he refused to count some of them (uh, dude - I'm not squashing my C-cups).  I actually have a great deal of upper-body strength for a female, so push-ups aren't as difficult for me as they are for some women.

Well, since I last did this challenge, they've added some things.  There is now a 200 squats challenge and a 200 sit-ups challenge (which is actually a 200 crunches challenge, but I guess that doesn't sound as catchy), and some other things, too, like dips and pull-ups.  The way they all work is that you do an initial test to see where your starting point is.  Then you follow a chart for three days a week doing the recommended number of reps for each set with a 60-second rest period between sets.  You'll do this for six weeks.  The idea is that at six weeks, you'll be at the goal.  If you aren't at the 100 (or 200) push-ups, sit-ups/crunches, or squats, then you repeat Week 6 until you get there.

I'm going to try it with Monday, Wednesday and Friday being my three days per week.  It won't the same as going to a gym of course, but at least it'll be something.  And I'm hoping that my blogging about it here, I'll have some accountability.

My initial test results?  I was able to do 50 squats, 23 push-ups, and 41 sit-ups.

So, anyone want to join me?  C'mon, you know you want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment