04 August 2011

Recipe: Hamburger Hot Pot

The basis for the recipe came from Ravelry, and then I embellished it.  I'll post the base here, and then give the rest in my "notes" section.

1 lb ground beef
1/4 t garlic powder
1 t salt
1/4 pepper
3 potatoes, chopped
3 medium onions, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 soup-can full of water

Brown ground beef, adding garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

In Crock Pot, layer half of the potatoes, half of the onions, the beef mixture, the rest of the potatoes, then the rest of the onions.  Combine the soup with the water, and pour mixture on top, covering evenly.

Cook on high 3-4 hours.

NOTES: The recipe was the second attempt by someone and the first time, she had put in all of the onions raw.  The second time, she cooked the onions before adding them in.  I decided to cook half of my onions with the ground beef and put the other half in raw and see what the results were.  I honestly couldn't tell the difference.  Next time, I'll just put them all in raw.

I had a pound of frozen sliced carrots from Angel Food, so I added them in.  I decided they would get cooked enough in 4 hours time, and I was right.  I also had some leftover peas (previously frozen - thank you again, Angel Food), but since these were cooked, I put them in near the end of the cooking time.  This turned out REALLY well.  The only thing I would do differently next time is put in more soup since I added a bunch of extra stuff, and it came out really thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment