05 May 2011

Recipe: Mexican Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 t olive oil
8 slices rye bread
2 T mayonnaise
1 c fresh salsa, well-drained
3/4 c shredded Mexican cheese blend
2 T butter, softened

1.  In a small skillet, sautĂ© peppers in oil until tender.  Spread four bread slices with mayonnaise.  Layer with peppers, salsa, and cheese.  Top with remaining bread.  Butter outsides of sandwiches.

2.  In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwich for 2-4 minutes on each side on until cheese is melted.

Notes: I buttered all of the bread first and laid them out (buttered-side down) on a cookie sheet.  Then I mayonnaise-d four of the slices of bread.  I thought this made more sense than making sandwiches and then trying to butter the outsides.

I did NOT use rye bread.  I HATE rye bread.  Rye bread is disgrossting.

Next time, I will mix the salsa, peppers, and cheese together, and then just spoon the mixture on the break.  Much less labour intensive than all of those steps.

Otherwise, the flavour profile of this sandwich - good heavens!  SO GOOD!  Rachel and I both ate two of them, AND a salad that we made (that recipe will go up next week).  This recipe is definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment