11 March 2011

The Harlem Globetrotters

When I was a little girl, I wanted nothing more than to see the Harlem Globetrotters.  How fortuitous and or serendipitous it was then that they always rolled into my hometown the week of my week of my birthday.  Surely this was destiny!

Every year, I begged my mom, "Please!  Harlem Globetrotters!"  And every year, it was explained to me that the show was only good if you could afford to get the seats in the very front, and we just couldn't - not on a teacher's salary.

But I was a relentless child.  "Harlem Globetrotters are coming again this year!  ON MY BIRTHDAY!"  And, of course, the answer was always the same.

I don't remember how, but a few years ago, Galen, one of the guys on my mom's bowling team found out about my childhood dream.  And he now also teases my mom about this.  How could she never fulfil such a simple dream?  Every time I go back for Christmas, he asks me when the Globetrotters will be there, and I supply the dates, and we give poor Mom a hard time.  I'm surprised a bowling "accident" hasn't happened by now.

Tuesday of this week, I called Mom, elated.  "GUESS WHO WAS JUST ON TV!"

"Who?"  "THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS!!!  They were on the midday news!"

"That's great!  You got to see them!  Now you can shut up about it!"
"No, Mom.  It doesn't count.  It wasn't a game."
"Oh."
"Well, I'll buy you a ticket."
"To WHAT?" (I DO know her, after all)
"To SOMETHING!" She dies laughing.  (See?  I told you I know her!)

Of course, I had to call her tonight to give her a hard time.

Me: Guess what I COULD be doing tonight?
Mom: What?
Me:  Seeing the Harlem Globetrotters.  But I'm not.  Because my mom didn't buy me tickets for my birthday. AGAIN.
Mom:  That's true.  I didn't.
Me:  Wouldn't it have been easier to have just done that once?
Mom: Yes, it would have had I know you have bugged me FOR THE NEXT FIFTY YEARS!  Next time I have a kid and they say "You'll regret this," I'll know what they mean!

So then I got to laughing.  I told her that my poor kids will be dragged to the Harlem Globetrotters year after year and will probably hate every second of it.  "MooooooooOOOOOOOmmmmm!!!  Do we HAFTA go AGAIN?  WHY?????  I don't WANNA!  They're STOOPID!"

1 comment: