22 February 2011

Mini Chocolate-Chip Cookies

When this recipe came to my inbox this morning, compliments of Weight Watchers, I knew what I was having for dessert tonight.

2 T butter, softened
2 t canola oil
1/2 c dark brown sugar, packed
1 t vanilla extract
1/8 t table salt
1 large egg white
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking soda
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips, about 1/2 c


Preheat oven to 375ยบ

In a medium bowl, cream together butter, oil, and sugar.  Add vanilla, salt, and egg white; mix thoroughly to combine.

In a small bowl, mix together flour and baking soda; stir into batter.  Add chocolate chips.  Stir to distribute evenly throughout (this is what the recipe says, although I think this is obvious.  I mean, what's the alternative?  "Throw in chips in one big clump.  Do not stir, ensuring that chips are are left in one cookie for some lucky bastard.")

Drop 48 half-teaspoons of dough onto one of two large non-stick baking sheets, leaving a small amount of space between each cookie.  Bake cookies until golden around the edges, about 4 to 6 minutes; cool on a wire rack.

Recipe mods: I used olive oil, because no one gave me the memo that canola oil is the BMOC now.  I used the whole egg because I experienced reading fail, but it didn't seem to make a difference.  I also didn't use baking soda.  Despite all odds, my cookies still rose.  Mom says God just knew I needed cookies tonight.*  I also dropped in teaspoons, because there was no way in Hell I was doing 48 half-teaspoon-fulls.  When I got to the second cycle, there was just a bit left over, and I lamented to Mom that it ALWAYS ended up this way - with just a little left over.  So the second batch of cookies are a bit bigger than the first batch because I wasn't doing a third batch of three cookies!

*Mom also told me a story of one day when her kids (she used to teach high school home ec) put their cookies under the broiler for the entire cooking time.  Of course, they should they burned.  To a crisp.  Should have set of the smoke detectors!  But they didn't.  In fact, they were perfect.  And they were the best cookies they had ever eaten.  Sometimes, the cooking gods just intervene.

No comments:

Post a Comment