07 February 2011

Bean Salad with Chipotle Chile Dressing

from "Diabetes Cooking" Magazine January/February 2011 Issue

1 15-oz can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
1/4 c. finely chopped scallion
1 jalepeño pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
1/2 c. shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1T vegetable broth
1 T tomato paste
t t white wine vinegar
2 t canola oil
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t ground cumin
1/8 t chipotle chile powder

1.  Combine beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, scallion, jalapeño, and cheese in large bowl.  Toss gently, but well.

2.  Combine broth, tomato paste, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, cumin, and chile powder in a cup.  Stir well.  Pour over salad.  Toss well and set aside five minutes for flavours to blend.

Yield: 4 servings.

Note: This dish is wonderful served as a salad or even as a filling for a quesadilla, taco, or burrito.

Modifications: I made this without the scallion, simply because I didn't have any on hand.  I used co-jack cheese, because I apparently didn't pay attention at the grocery store.  I used chicken broth, because I wasn't making a special trip to the market when I was sick for one tablespoon when I had chicken broth on hand.  I also used olive oil instead of canola oil.

Rachel and I had this as a stand-alone salad, and we were both really pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment