14 January 2011

Birthday Events

Some of my friends met me at one of my favourite restaurants tonight, AKI, for all-you-can-eat sushi.  One of the friends I invited couldn't come because she had to go to her sister's birthday party, and another friend was visiting her grandparents for the weekend.  One of my friends popped in for a bit after an appointment, and it was good to see her, if only for a few minutes.

We had a great time stuffing ourselves silly and playing detective.  A large party near us had a reservation under the name "Alex", and we spent some time and employed some tactics trying to figure out which of the party was named "Alex".  Over the course of the evening, we developed elaborate backstories - they were all named Alex and this was their meeting; ALEX was actually an acronym (Assembly for Lively and Educated Xenophobes); none of them were named Alex.  Eventually, one of the guys said "This is for you, Alex," and I literally grabbed someone's arm in excitement as the real Alex was about to be revealed.  You'd have thought I was about to win big money on a game show or something.  I can't remember laughing that hard in AGES.

After supper, the idea was for some of us to come back to my place for dessert, general hanging out, board games, etc.  But instead the supper crew all went home and people from the West Philly Knitting group ended up coming over.  For dessert, we had Pumpkin Pie Pudding that I had cooked earlier today.  It was nice and warm in the Crock Pot, and it seemed to be well received.  We watched some episodes of "How I Met Your Mother" as they hadn't ever seen it but wanted to, and (of course) got some knitting done.

It was a great birthday, spent with a good variety of friends, in spite of it also being the first birthday with Kirsten, Kristi, and Sarah all being in various parts of the country now.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good birthday... sorry I missed out on who's Alex!!! (then again... you probably want to go back there again...)

    See you tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete