17 February 2010

A Pet Peeve: Literally

My friends know that one of my biggest pet peeves is when people misuse the word "literally."

One time I heard a woman say, "It's literally raining cats and dogs outside!" Uh, no, it's really NOT, ma'am. Cause PETA would be all over that shit.

In the aftermath of September 11th, the news aired a "man on the street" interview in which the person said, "I really feel for President Bush. He literally has the weight of the world on his shoulders." I called my sister who said EXACTLY what I yelled at the tv: Who is he - Atlas???

But I would hope that Olympic sportscasters and colour commentators would know a little better than the average person. But, apparently, that's a bit much for which to hope.

On Saturday, I was informed that one of the U.S.A. speed skaters "literally had a wall of Korean skaters" to get through. I turned to Naomi (who was watching The Games with me) and asked her if that wasn't perhaps against the IOC rules. We then wondered if the Koreans would be building this wall after the race started, if the wall would move around the track with the skaters, and why other countries wouldn't employ this strategy.

And just tonight, I was told that one of the downhill skiers "literally let it all out." Dear God, I hope not. First of all, it's bloody cold on those ski slopes in Vancouver. Secondly, doesn't she need some of that, you know, IN her?

Also, the Oscar update:

The Ocs is doing well. He continues to make urine and today he actually made a tiny little poop! I've never been so excited in my life to see poop! He's still somewhat listless, but he's ambled through the living room a few times on his way into the kitchen for water, and then back under the bed.

Finally, a couple of pics of Felix because he deserves some blog space:

3 comments: