25 April 2010

Orzo Cheesecake Fruit Salad

From: Taste of Home, Simple and Delicious: May 2010

1 c uncooked orzo pasta
1 3.4-oz instance cheesecake or vanilla pudding mix
1/3 c sour cream
1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 large banana, sliced
2 t lemon juice
1 11-ounce cans mandarin oranges, drained
2 c mini marshmallows
1 c chopped pecans, toasted
1 c canned sliced peaches, drained and chopped
1/2 c maraschino cherries, drained and quartered
1 8-ounce carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted

1. Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.

2. In a BIG-ASS bowl, combine pudding mix, sour cream, and pineapple. Toss bananas with lemon juice; stir into pudding mixture.

3. Stir in oranges, marshmallows, pecans, peaches, cherries, and orzo. Fold in whipped topping. Sprinkle with coconut.

4. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until chilled.

Yield: 16 servings

My modifications: I nixed the pecans, marshmallows, and cherries. I added one more banana (and therefore, one more teaspoon of lemon juice). I used all "no sugar added" fruits and fat-free, sugar-free whipped topping. I used the vanilla pudding mix, rather than the cheesecake mix.

Keep in mind that I didn't use several of the ingredients, AND I used a 3-quart mixing bowl. And my fruit salad still filled my bowl to the brim. You have been warned.

Also... it's SOOOO good. OMG - I can't stop eating it.

1 comment:

  1. I have to make something for the teachers brunch. I was going to do lemon bars because they are easy and I make them every year. But I may make these, if I can find some BIG ASS serving bowls at the dollar store, so I don't have to get them back.

    ReplyDelete