21 January 2009

Inauguration Day

One of my coworkers brought in her portable television so we could watch the pomp and circumstance in the office.

I held it together for the most part. I cheered for Justice Stevens (although I made fun of Biden for calling him "Mr. Justice) and I jeered Chief Justice Roberts, especially when he went and fucked up the oath of office. Dumbass.

I was proud of myself for not bawling like a baby while Obama was sworn in. Although I will admit that I cried when Dubya got into the chopper and flew away. It was such an immense feeling of RELIEF. All I could think of was, "It's over. He's gone. We can get to work on repairing this clusterfuck of a country now."

The only unpleasant part of the whole deal was when Rick Warren was introduced. I made a comment that I still couldn't believe that he was doing the invocation. Coworker 1 asked me who he is. I said, "He's a conservative pastor who is anti-gay rights, pro-life, etc." Coworker 2 said, "He isn't anti-gay rights. He's anti-gay MARRIAGE." I said, "Marriage IS a gay right." Coworker 2 said, "But he isn't against ALL gay rights." I just left it like that; I'm not out at work, and I didn't want to start a big THING.

While I was disgruntled at this statement, my sister (who I called last night since it was her birthday) and I managed to make it pretty funny. As in, "how many gay rights do you have to support for you to call yourself pro-gay rights? Is one enough? Two?" I wondered if it was like a meal plan where you get one entree and two sides - you can support one BIG gay right and two little ones and you're good to go. Then we really got nuts and started in on feminism. You know, like you can be a feminist but against females being educated... so you aren't against all women's right, just SOME of them. *rolls eyes* Anyway, by the time we were done, we were both giggling like crazy.

I also had my first day of Pre-calc last night. I think I'm really going to like this professor. But we'll see how it goes after Day 1. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment