20 November 2010

Sweet Potato Enchilada Stack

From Taste of Home: Simple and Delicious
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Cost: $1.69/serving

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 T water
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 10-oz can enchilada sauce
2 t chili powder
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t ground cumin
3 8-inch flour tortillas
2 c shredded cheddar cheese

1.  In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the sweet potato and water.  Cover and microwave for 4-5 minutes or until potato is tender.

2.  Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Stir in the beans, enchilada sauce, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and sweet potato; heat through.

3.  Place a flour tortilla in a greased 9-inch deep-dish pie plate; layer with a third of the beef mixture and cheese.  Repeat layers twice.  Bake at 400ยบ for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.

Recipe modifications: I used two small sweet potatoes, because - well, it's what I had.  I used two onions, because - uh, well, I typically double up on the onion factor (sorry Cristi and Ria).  I used whole-wheat tortillas since I rarely eat white anything.  I used low-fat cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment